Kerry has voted for at least SEVEN major reductions in Defense and Military spending, necessary for our national security:
1) In 1996 - Introduced Bill to slash Defense Department Funding by $6.5 Billion.
2) In 1995 - Voted to freeze Defense spending for 7 years, slashing over $34 billion from Defense.
3) Fiscal 1996 Budget Resolution - Defense Freeze. "Harkin, D-Iowa, amendment to freeze defense spending for the next seven years and transfer the $34.8 billion in savings to education and job training."
4) In 1993 - Introduced plan to cut numerous Defense programs, including:
5) Has voted repeatedly to cut Defense spending, including:
* F-16 Fighting Falcons.
* B-1Bs B-2As F-15 And F-16s
* M1 Abrams
* Patriot Missile
* AH-64 Apache Helicopter
* Tomahawk Cruise Missile
* Aegis Air-Defense Cruiser
6) During 1980s Kerry And Michael Dukakis joined forces with liberal group dedicated to slashing Defense. Kerry sat on the board of "Jobs With Peace Campaign," which sought to "develop public support for cutting the defense budget..."("Pentagon Demonstrators Call For Home-Building, Not Bombs," The Associated Press, 6/3/88)
7) While running for Congress in 1972, Kerry promised to cut Defense Spending. "On what he'll do if he's elected to Congress," Kerry said he would 'bring a different kind of message to the president." He said he would, "Vote against military appropriations." ("Candidate's For Congress Capture Campus In Andover," Lawrence [MA] Eagle-Tribune, 4/21/72)
"So you can look at all the potential threats of the world, and when you add the expenditures of all of our allies to the United States of America, you have to stop and say to yourself, 'What is it that we are really preparing for in a post-cold-war world?'"
(Sen. John Kerry, Congressional Record, 5/15/96, p. S5061)